A migraine attack is often debilitating and extremely painful and it is also very difficult to stop once it starts. The best treatment for migraines is preventing them from ever occurring. There are several methods that work for some people, but chiropractic care is a popular preventative measure that many people have found to help them be migraine free.
A severe headache is the first thing people think of regarding migraines, but there are other symptoms which include:
- Pain located on one or both sides of the head
- Photophobia (sensitivity to light)
- Blurred vision or other visual disturbances
- Pain that is pulsing or throbbing
- Lightheaded and possibly fainting
- Hypersensitivity to smell, taste, or touch
- Loss of motor function or in more severe cases, partial paralysis
Causes of Migraines
There are certain triggers that can initiate an attack. Some of the more common migraine triggers include:
- Foods – Processed foods, salty foods, aged cheeses, and chocolate.
- Beverages – Coffee and other caffeinated drinks as well as alcohol
- Hormonal changes – Occurs mainly in women, usually during menopause, menstruation, and pregnancy.
- Food additives – Monosodium glutamate (MSG) and aspartame as well as certain dyes.
- Stress – Environmental, tress at home or work, or illness that puts stress on the body.
- Sleep problems – Getting too much sleep or not getting enough sleep.
- Sensory stimuli – Sun glare and bright lights, strong smells like secondhand smoke and perfume, and certain tactile stimulation.
- Physical exertion – Intense exercise or other physical exertion.
- Jet lag
- Weather changes
- Skipping meals
Migraine treatments are classified as either abortive or preventative. Abortive medications primarily treat symptoms, usually pain relief. They are taken once a migraine attack has already begun and are designed to stop it. Preventative medications are usually taken daily to reduce the frequency of migraines and the severity of attacks. Most of these medications can only be obtained by prescription- and many of those have unpleasant side effects.
A migraine specialist can recommend medications as well as other treatments including acupuncture, massage therapy, chiropractic, acupressure, herbal remedies and lifestyle changes. Adequate sleep, relaxation exercises, and dietary changes may also help.
Chiropractic for Migraines
A chiropractor will use a variety of techniques when treating migraines. Spinal manipulation of one of the most common, usually focusing on the cervical spine. By bringing the body into balance, it can relieve the pain and prevent future migraines. They may also recommend vitamin, mineral, and herbal supplements as well as lifestyle changes which usually involved eliminating triggers. Studies have found that headache and migraine sufferers greatly benefited from chiropractic treatment with either noticeable or substantial improvement. Chiropractic care is an effective treatment for relieving pain and preventing migraines.
Call our office today at (519) 250-6288 to set up your appointment! Don’t forget to like and share this post with your family and friends.